Saturday, March 1, 2008

My first CD review!!!!!!! +44: When Your Heart Stops Beating


+44 was formed after Blink 182 broke up by drummer Travis Barker, bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus and new guitarists Craig Faribaugh and Shane Gallagher.

Track list:
1. Lycanthrope: A good song to start of with. Has good energy. Dark sounding verse but chorus changes to a more Bink-ish sound. 4/5
2. Baby Come On: One of my favorites on the album. Nice lyrics "Yesterday is just tomorrow with the lights on". Great chorus, good verse and nice breakdown. 5/5
3.When Your Heart Stops Beating: The title track. Pretty good song overall. What I really like about this song is the drum beat for the chorus. 4/5
4. Little Death: A little bit gloomy for my liking but still a pretty nice song. Nice chorus. 3.5/5
5. 155: I found the synth at the beginning a little annoying but the chorus just blows me away. 4.5/5
6.Lillian: Pretty dark and gloomy. An alright song but I'm not really a big fan of it. 2.5/5
7. Cliff Diving: This is the most Blink-ish song on the album which is a great thing but chorus could've been better. 4/5
8.Interlude: Nice way to slow down the tempo a bit. 3/5
9.Weatherman: WAY too gloomy. Makes me sleepy. 2/5
10.No, It Isn't: Sad song, sad lyrics. But I like it. First +44 song I heard. 3.5/5
11.Make You Smile: Beautiful song. I would sing this a lot if I didn't suck so badly. 5/5
12. Chapter XIII: Not favorite song but alright. 2.5/5

Mark has really grown up since the good ol' days. it shows in his lyrics and songwriting. This is good and bad at the same time but well, everyone grows up sometime. Travis' drumming is still keng but I feel like he's lost some of the tenacity that makes him a guy I look up to.

Overall score: 4/5

No comments: